- 125g butter, chopped
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 small royal gala apples
- 1/4 cup apricot jam
- Double cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan-forced. Grease a 6cm-deep, 20cm (base) round springform pan. Line base with baking paper. Place butter, sugar and vanilla in a bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat for 5 to 6 minutes or until light and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating after each addition.
- Sift flours over butter mixture. Add milk. Fold until just combined. Spoon into prepared pan. Core and quarter apples. Thinly slice. Arrange apples in 2 circles on batter, pressing down gently.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Stand in pan for 10 minutes. Remove side from pan. Slide cake onto a wire rack to cool.
- Place jam in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high (100%) for 30 seconds to 1 minute or until runny. Brush cake top with jam. Serve with cream.