- 280 g (500 ml) cake flour
- 20 ml (4 t) baking powder
- 60 ml (4 T) cocoa
- 1 ml (pinch) salt
- 300 g (375 ml) Huletts White Sugar
- 4 extra large eggs, separated
- 275 ml sunflower oil
- 5 ml (1 t) vanilla essence
- 275 ml boiling water
- 60 ml (¼ cup) kirsch or cherry liqueur
- 500 ml (2 cups) fresh cream - whipped
- 1 tin (45 g) black cherries in syrup - drained
- 1 x 80g dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line 2 x 20 cm cake tins with baking paper.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and salt together. Beat the sugar and egg yolks together until light and creamy. Add the oil and vanilla essence and fold into the dry ingredients. Add the boiling water and mix well.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff, but not dry, and fold into the mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared tins and bake for 25 minutes or until a cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- Once cool, slice each cake in half using string or nylon line as shown below.
- Drizzle each layer with a little liqueur (cherry or kirsch) to moisten them (optional).
- Then spread each layer with cream and cherries.
- Finally top with the remaining cream and cherries and decorate with chocolate curls. (To make curls, shave chocolate with a potato peeler.)